Friday, May 16, 2014

Butterfly

It's been an amazing experience so far in South Africa. When I started working full time on the college campus with Campus Outreach in August 2013, I never imagined that I would be here this summer. God had a plan even greater than what I could even ask or think.
Today a colorful butterfly just landed on the page of my composition book while we were sitting outside on the grass in the courtyard of the church, and I thought it was beautiful and a unique thing to happen. Then, the longer it just sat there, the more I thought about how in the past God has used the butterfly to speak to me as an illustration of freedom. The butterfly is initially just a caterpillar enclosed in a cocoon while it grows and develops, and when it is ready, it comes out as a beautiful butterfly with wings to fly. This is a picture of the awesomeness of God's creation, and of how He has and is working in my life and heart. Many times I just want to stay enclosed in the safety of a cocoon where I don't have to face fears or discomfort. But God has already given me beautiful wings to fly through His grace of Jesus Christ's sacrifice for me to be set free from sin and to be made alive in Christ. I have the freedom to be myself, to not be bound by what man thinks, to be a light for Christ. This small butterfly landing on my page gave me encouragement for the day to walk in His Spirit. God has given me wings; I just have to let go of the cocoon and use them!

No comments:

Post a Comment