Saturday, May 17, 2014

Orientation, Culture, Campus... Our First Week!

Well, we have completed our first week here in Pretoria. It has been a great week filled with a new culture, new experiences, and a new family for the next seven weeks. It has also been a pleasure for all of us to get to know the CO staff here in Pretoria: Jeff and his wife Kris, Siyanda, Nammy, and Mpho. It is so sweet to see their hearts for God to be glorified here at TUKS in Pretoria. Thanks to the staff's help, we are getting acclimated to this new city quite well.

     During orientation, we learned about the culture and more about the job we will be doing this winter (summer back home, of course). During orientation with the CO staff, we toured Pretoria a little bit, ate at a couple of restaurants, and went grocery shopping. This is my first time out of the U.S. and I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to the culture, the big picture is the same. People are still people (and all people need Jesus), but it is the many little differences that make this place seem so foreign. Here is a list of some fun differences I have noticed so far: 


The team and I are shocked to see cars driving down the road with no driver, before we remember that the driver's seat is what we are used to as the passenger's seat. The seat difference along with driving on the left side of the road is very difficult to get used to. I keep continuously thinking we are on the verge of getting in a car accident because of turns other drivers make that seem horribly wrong. When I sat up front on my birthday, I felt like I needed to be driving. (The guys on our team: Pascual, Matt, and Jesse; are the only ones to be driving during our trip. They have had driving lessons the past two mornings and are doing a great job thus far.) 

When we rode from the Johannesburg airport to our house in Pretoria, the speed limit signs read "120". We all freaked out about the insanely high speed until we realized it was kilometers per hour, not mph like we are used to.

There are a lot more people begging in the streets than I have ever seen in Atlanta. 

The cars are mainly brands I completely recognize such as Hundai, Toyota and Ford. For me, that was a surprise. There are also a few brands of cars I've never seen before. 

It feels as if I'm at the beach because all of the trees are so tropical. They are also very short! 

Every single house has a large gate with very sharp points at the top, along with an electric fence above the gate. In the States, we have gates or fences for decoration and slightly for protection. Here in Pretoria, a sharp gate with an electric fence is crucial for safety. I have yet to see a home without this protection. Here is a picture of our gate:                 

On the nutrition facts, instead of "calories" it says "energy". Isn't "energy" much more appealing? 

South Africans call traffic lights "robots" 

The trunk of the car is called the "boot" of the car. 

"Lekker" is a very trendy word used for awesome, cool, etc. for example, "that movie was lekker!!!" 

I have not met a South African who only speaks one language. There are multiple languages being spoken all the time! Everyone speaks English. 

People here call gas "petrol". Also, at the "petrol" stations, there are attendants. You never pump your own "petrol". 



Although I'm sure that many of you reading are aware of these things, but the above are just a few of the fun things we as a team have found to be different here in South Africa.


What is more important than the fun orientation period is that we had our first two days in the Res's this week. Whitney Zorn is my ministry partner, and the two of us will be working in the Zinna Women's Res during our time here in Pretoria. Zinnia's mascot is tinkerbell, and the first years are called "Pixies". We are open to whomever the Holy Spirit leads us, but we are hoping specifically to get to know and share with the "Pixies" of this building. Campus Outreach is not very well known throughout this res, so Whitney and I will be building relationships and hopefully starting an investigative Bible study... Or as I like to call it, "Bible doing"- discussing God's Word and how we can actually live it out. So far we have met several girls and we would love for you to join us in prayer that their hearts would see God's light in us and be drawn to HIM.

The other Res's we will be working in are the Kiaat Men's Res and the Incca Women's Res. Matt and Jesse are in Kiaat while Anna, Erin, and Anna will be in Incca. Please be praying for Kiaat, Incca, and Zinnia. Pray that the Holy Spirit fills the halls of these Res's and that Jesus would show these students that He is here to meet them wherever they are... That at any moment they can drop their nets and follow Him. 

Thinking of the possibility of students coming to know Jesus this Winter reminds me of when I gave my life to Him. I get emotional remembering how far I was from God and how much I didn't want Him. He found me in my desperation and weakness and showed me that He is a God of healing and forgiveness. I now can say that I have a personal relationship with The Ultimate Healer, The Perfect Lover, Friend, and Father! And... it has nothing to do with me, but everything to do with Him. Oh, how I long for others to find this Love. 


Thank you for your prayers. 

Blessings! 
Kelley Delchamps
     -Kennesaw State University



No comments:

Post a Comment