Sunday, June 1, 2014

Loss of Comfort for the Kingdom

Dear friends and family,

These past three weeks on CCP have been an eye opener to how much I love my comfort. These many comforts include first and foremost Chicfila, my friends and family, not living in a house of six girls, safety, and many more.

The Chicfila comfort may sound silly, but in all seriousness they do not have biscuits here. A South African biscuit is a very hard cookie. This is a mission field in itself and that's all I am going to say about that. #ewww

The second comfort of not being able to see my friends and family has been by far the most difficult comfort to let go of. Sometimes it doesn't feel that I'm a 17 hour flight away from home, but knowing that there is no possible way for me to run home to mom definitely puts a spin on things. Also, face timing is difficult because Atlanta, GA is 6 hours behind Pretoria, SA.

The third comfort is living in a house of six girls, which I do love, but at times I find my selfishness makes it hard. I have come to know that I am more of an introvert than I thought. We have one shower that has a curtain and one room that has wifi. The combination of these things at times leads to frustration.

The fourth comfort is safety/freedom. In South Africa, our team has what you call a security bubble. We have places we can and cannot go, we always have to have a guy with us, and most of our time not spent on campus is in our gated house.

These comforts might all sound like negative experiences, but the Lord has been showing me what I have been adding to the Gospel. Many have heard the expression Jesus + nothing = everything but I believe my gospel before CCP has been Comfort + a little Jesus here and there = everything.

The Lord is revealing idols in my heart and I am learning to depend on him for comfort and satisfaction. As I can't run to my idols and am learning to run to the Lord, I find myself loving the satisfaction the Lord brings more than any comfort. Having The Lord is a satisfaction that can never run out. My other idols keep me longing for more.

While here, I have been reading a book by Elizabeth Elliot, the widow of the well-known missionary Jim Elliot. There are many quotes by Mr. and Mrs. Elliot that have inspired me to die to comforts and run to the Lord and his mission.

"Let not our longing slay the appetite of our living" 

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose"

"Wherever you are, be all there! Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God"

-Jim Elliot

"We accept and thank God for what is given, not allowing the not-given to spoil it"

-Elizabeth Elliot

So, when I don't think about how much I miss my comforts, I have a lot to be thankful for. I am here with an amazing team and I am getting to share the gospel with South African girls.  My heart has never felt so overwhelmed with joy than when I see someone amazed at the first chapter of John.

Some missionaries we heard speak recently here in Pretoria encouraged young people with this statement,

"Don't squander your life on anything less than being right in the center of God's work"

I am praying that I would want this and strive for this with my life.

Thank you for you prayers and encouragement.

Cheers,
Erin




No comments:

Post a Comment